Wild Onions is an annual publication funded by The Doctors Kienle Center for Humanistic Medicine, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine. It is a journal of poetry, prose, visual art, and music created by members of the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Community.
Most entries will pertain to some dimension of medicine (for example, the experiences, observations, and reflections of patients, nurses, physicians, medical students, family members, hospital staff, volunteers, visitors, etc.), but we invite submissions on all topics. Wild Onions is seeking striking images from the bedside, clinic, or lab bench, whether or not these were originally intended as artwork.
Entries must be original work not published previously and may take any form: fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama, cartoons, graphic novella or short story, photography, drawings, paintings, lyrics, and musical scores.
The Doctors Kienle Center for Humanistic Medicine funds the publication and distribution of Wild Onions. The aim of The Doctors Kienle Center is to advance the appreciation, knowledge, and practice of humane and humanistic medicine, defined as health care that is sympathetic, compassionate, and effective. Wild Onions serves this goal by encouraging literary work that seeks to describe and understand, with empathy, the experiences of giving and receiving health care.
To submit work online:
Fill out the electronic Wild Onions Entry Form.
Instructions for submitting work via email or CD:
- Please fill out a separate submission form for each entry. DO NOT include your name on the actual piece you submit.
- Poetry and prose should be typed in Microsoft Word and supplied on CD or emailed to email@example.com. Please include all contact information listed below in the body of your email.
- Original artwork should be dropped off at the Humanities Department, Room C1743, with submission form. (Submission forms can be picked up in the Humanities Department or in the Harrell Library Circulation desk)
- Digital images of artwork or photography (saved in .jpg format) may be submitted on CD or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include all contact information in the body of your email.
- Musical submissions require a CD recording and may or may not be accompanied by a written score. Entries that are selected for inclusion will be reproduced exactly as submitted, so please be sure the recording is of suitable quality.
- Deadline for submissions is February 1st of each calendar year.
- Click here to download a .pdf of the 2011 Wild Onions.
- Or select a particular year from the Wild Onions archives.
- Download a copy of the Wild Onions Retrospective 2010
- Read Judy Schaefer’s Book titled, Wild Onion Nurse a collection of 25 years of the poetry of nursing in a college of medicine literary journal. You can purchase this book through Radcliffe Publishing.