The primary goal of the Translational Science certificate is to provide a formal, structured program that allows medical and health care professionals to enhance a successful career in translational science. The curriculum includes courses in 5 specific translational science clusters, offered at several campuses. Candidates are required to complete 15 credits, including a 10-credit core of required 500-level courses and 5 elective credits at the 500 level. Courses must be selected from the detailed curriculum, or by permission from the certificate director. Courses are available at the Hershey, University Park, and World campuses, enabling the student to continue employment activities. Candidates must obtain a B or better grade in each course.
For admission to the certificate program, an applicant must hold either:
(1) a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. regionally accredited institution, or
(2) a postsecondary degree that is equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate degree earned from an officially recognized degree-granting international institution.
International applicants must have a tertiary (postsecondary) degree that is deemed comparable to a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree. This degree must be from an officially recognized degree-granting institution in the country in which it operates. Additionally, all international applicants must meet the Graduate School’s English proficiency requirements.
All certificate candidates are considered non-degree students. Up to 15 Penn State course credits acquired as a non-degree certificate candidate may be applied toward fulfillment of graduate degree requirements.
To apply for the Translational Science certificate, follow these easy steps:
1. Complete the application and submit materials online to the Graduate Certificate in Translational Science at the Hershey campus via the Penn State Graduate School Admissions Portal:
- One letter of recommendation
2. Send transcripts to the MS PHS programs by mail: MS PHS Programs, Penn State College of Medicine, Public Health Sciences, 90 Hope Drive, PO Box 855, Hershey, PA, 17033-0855
- One official transcript from all colleges/universities who granted a degree.
Applications will be accepted until March 1, 2014, for the Fall 2014 semester.