Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine are committed to enhancing the quality of life through improved health, the professional preparation of those who will serve the health needs of others, and the discovery of knowledge that will benefit all. Our organization-wide goal is excellence in education, patient care, research and community outreach.
Our Four-Part Mission
We are committed to the education of medical and nursing students, basic science graduate students, medical residents and fellows, other students in healthcare-related professions, and practicing health professionals. We seek to enroll students of exceptional quality, and their education will be based on the present and future health needs of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the nation. Special recognition is given to the education of primary care providers.
Our objective is to provide a range of fully integrated patient care services for the people of central Pennsylvania and beyond. These services will extend from prevention of illness and maintenance of health through primary medical care to the highly sophisticated patient care expected at the nation’s premier academic medical centers.
We strive to be a national leader in pursuing scientific investigation and developing programs to advance medical and scientific knowledge, which will ultimately contribute to the health of the public, the practice of medicine, and the education of health professionals.
We will provide community outreach services to the public through health education, patient care, community activities, and applications of research. We endeavor to provide health education to the public. In turn, community support for our research missions fosters clinical applications that positively impact patient care.
Within the research component of our organization’s mission, we focus on four key areas.
Basic science research is essential for translating or applying new discoveries to patient care. This includes research in the departments of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; Cellular and Molecular Physiology; Comparative Medicine; Public Health Sciences; Humanities; Microbiology and Immunology; Neural and Behavioral Sciences; and Pharmacology.
The most important challenge facing academic medical centers is translating new research findings into tangible health benefits that improve lives. Penn State has created the Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) to serve as an independent but highly integrated academic engine for clinical and translational science.
Clinical research is a component of medical and health research intended to produce knowledge essential for understanding human disease, preventing and treating illness, and promoting health.
For more information, visit our Clinical Trials website.
Wellness and health improvement go beyond treatment models for chronic conditions by developing, investigating, and applying models to incorporate the promotion of healthy behaviors and prudent utilization of preventive services. This includes:
- promotion of healthy behaviors (e.g., nutrition, physical activity) to modify risk factors for certain chronic conditions
- development of innovative roles for non-physician practitioners in achieving improved health outcomes for target populations
- development of programs to enable early detection of certain chronic health problems
- development and testing of innovative prevention strategies
- modification of physician prescribing patterns focusing on evidence-based improvements
In everything we do as an academic medical center, we strive to show the following values:
- Listen, hear and give credit.
- Embrace our diverse backgrounds, talents and perspectives.
- Be compassionate, thoughtful, considerate and kind.
- Be the best you can be, every time.
- Have moral courage to ask hard questions of ourselves and others.
- Be consistent and fair.
- Commit to working together to ensure the best experience for patients, co-workers, students and trainees.
- Share knowledge for the benefit of the team.
- Earn the trust of your co-workers and colleagues.
- Align personal performance with our mission, vision, values and strategic imperatives.
- Set personal goals and exceed expectations.
- Always be solution-focused.