The mission of Research Development is to strengthen and further develop sponsored research, research training, and research career development programs at the Penn State College of Medicine on the Hershey Medical Center campus. Our efforts are focused in the basic biomedical and clinical sciences, clinical trials, epidemiology, and health care services/outcomes.
Toward this end, we provide information regarding the availability of funding and other research resources to investigators in the College of Medicine. We also help identify research mentors and collaborators and we provide advice and assistance to investigators in the development of sponsored research proposals. The goal is to help with the acquisition of new knowledge that will advance the promotion of better health and the development of improved medical capabilities for the prevention, treatment and cure of disease.
Our primary services and the tools and methods we use to provide them include:
Distributing information on research funding opportunities
- We maintain an email list, to which we send out Requests for Applications, Program Announcements and Calls for Proposals from NIH, foundations, and other major research sponsors. To be added, email firstname.lastname@example.org with details about your areas of research interest.
- We also offer personalized funding searches to help you find support for a particular project.
- Through the Research Concierge Service, we offer a list of databases for conducting your own funding searches.
Providing expertise in research funding strategies
- Helps investigators assess funding opportunities;
- Provides guidance on communication with funding sponsors;
- Connects potential collaborators and supports team-building;
- Facilitates access to research resources; and
- Assists with the development of complex funding proposals.
The goal of the Research Concierge Service is to increase the number, quality, and success rate of external funding submissions.
Identifying potential collaborators and research mentors
- Penn State Profiles is a searchable directory of publications and research interests of Penn State investigators working in the life sciences.
- Find a Penn State Hershey specialist and tap the medical expertise of physicians and other health care professionals at Hershey Medical Center.
- Our Research Concierge Service offers a directory of research expertise resources to help improve your study design and methodology.
Coordinating limited submission nominations from the College of Medicine
In collaboration with the Office of the Senior Vice President for Research, we coordinate the nomination process for limited submission applications from the College of Medicine.
Administering the College of Medicine feasibility grant review process
In addition, we administer several College of Medicine grant programs that support pilot and feasibility studies in research areas of high priority to the Medical Center. We pursue these and related activities that strengthen the College of Medicine’s research programs in partnership with other units within the Office of the Vice Dean for Research and Graduate Studies, the Research Team, University Development, Governmental Affairs and other departments throughout Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State University.
Contact Research Development
Our top goal is to help further strengthen the environment for biomedical and behavioral research throughout the University. If you need advice or assistance related to sponsored research or research training activities in the College of Medicine, please contact us and we will do our best to help you or find someone who can!