Yes and no. By the time of award, a K grant applicant must be a citizen or a non-citizen national of the United States or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (i.e., possess a currently valid Permanent Resident Card USCIS Form I-551, or other legal verification of such status). Individuals on temporary or student visas are not eligible to receive K awards with one exception – the K99/R00 (commonly referred to as the “kangaroo award”). The K99/R00 is the only category of K grant that does not have a citizenship requirement.